How You Can Help Contact Us

 
Home>Homosexuality>A Treatable Compulsive Disorder
> Homosexuality vs. Another Compulsive Disorder

> Resources For Homosexuals Seeking Reorientation Therapy

A Treatable Compulsive Disorder


The homosexual community correctly points out that the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in 1973 changed its designation of homosexuality from ‘abnormal and a mental illness’ to ‘normal’. The hope is that we will

...believe that the changes in the scientific opinion were due to new scientific evidence, and not due to irrelevant non-scientific factors. It is clear that the change in the APA designation was not due to new findings, but had everything to do with the lobbying pressure and tactics of the homosexual community. When the change was made, ‘only one-quarter of the proposed members of the APA voted on the proposed change.’ It came after intense pressure was brought on the group. ... According to Richard Isay, M.D., Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Cornell Medical College and chair of APA’s Committee on Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Issues, there is a ‘continuing conviction among most, although not all, dynamically oriented psychiatrists in general and psychotherapists in particular, that homosexuality can and should be changed to heterosexuality....’ Thus, the change in the APA’s classification cannot be construed to mean that there is anything close to a consensus among mental health professionals regarding the normalcy of homosexuality. 1
In addition, of the 25% who voted on the measure, only 58% voted for the change.  That is, only about 15% (3,200 of 25,000) APA members voted for the change in designation.  Most of the remaining 85% believed that homosexuality could and should be treated.  The good news for homosexuals seeking reparative therapy is that the evidence supports this common belief, as seen by the following:
Dr. Reubin Fine, director for the New York Center for Psychoanalytic Training says: It is paradoxical that even though politically active homosexual groups deny the possibility of change, all studies from Schrenck-Notzing on have found positive effects, virtually regardless of the kind of treatment used...a considerable percentage of overt homosexuals became heterosexual. 2
Homosexuals seeking reorientation therapy can contact the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Contact information is available on their web site at http://www.narth.com. NARTH is a growing non-profit organization of mostly mental health professionals, and other concerned individuals, who advocate the use of reorientation therapy for those homosexuals seeking treatment. There appears to be an adversarial relationship between NARTH and the APA due to their differing perspectives. The APA, and many other health care professional associations, have given into the pressure tactics of the homosexual movement, and are now operating from a gay advocacy perspective.  Many members of  these professional associations are giving in to the unscientific pressure tactics of the homosexual movement, while many others have chosen to join NARTH and stand by the well established scientific research which has demonstrated that homosexuality is a treatable compulsive disorder.

1Homosexuality in America: Exposing the Myths, 1994 The American Family Association, pp. 11
2Homosexuality in America: Exposing the Myths, 1994 The American Family Association, pp. 12
 

 

Copyright © 2000 ForTheChildrenInc.
Disclaimer